Tuesday 12 April 2011

Sony Vaio TouchPad not working Ubuntu 10.10

First things first, there is no point learning things, about Open source, if you can't experience its complete power. My preferred Linux distro is Debian based Ubuntu. I recently upgraded my Hardy Heron to Maverick Meerkat, for all those wondering what I am talking about. I am talking about various Ubuntu Versions. Hardy Heron happens to be Ubuntu's version 8.04 Long Term Support (LTS) release version, so when its support ran out, I thought that I should go for an upgrade instead, I was already late as I missed Lucid Lynx, version 10.04 by 7 months. So i thought may be I should go for Maverick Meerkat 10.10 instead. And that is when I committed a blunder (Topic of my numerous Blog-posts).
Ubuntu, makes two releases every year, using the year and month of the release as a version number. So a version released in October 2010, is called 10.10 and so on..... it uses an adjective and an animal with the same first letter (e.g. Maverick Meerkat). With the exception of the first two releases, code names are in alphabetical order,
As soon as I upgraded my system the first thing I observed was that, my Touch-Pad stopped working....
Now it seems that, I would have to myself add this parameter  to the grub.
Hmmmmm...... so I switched to windows again, did a bit of googling and came up with this solution......
So go to Application ----> Accessories ----> Terminal and type the following commands:-

1.  gksu gedit /etc/default/grub
2.  Edit /etc/default/grub to include GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="i8042.reset i8042.nomux i8042.nopnp i8042.noloop"
3.  Run: sudo update-grub


4.  Reboot  your system

And voillaa ... the Touch-Pad was up and working again.....
Now since your Touch-pad is up and running, go and figure stuff yourself.....

2 comments:

  1. credits - Divyanshu bandil, for his help

    ReplyDelete
  2. mannnn!!!! ur into software now...

    chall koi ni agar thodi assistance chahiye ho toh ahem ahem !!! i mean i am always there :P

    nice blog

    ReplyDelete